Lunar Eclipse 2021, Total Lunar Eclipse or Chandra Grahan will be the first Lunar Eclipse of 2021 and will take place on 26th May, 2021. It will be Purna Chandra Grahan.
A Purna Chandra Grahan is expected to occur on the Full Moon Night (Purnima Tithi) of Vaishakha, Shukla Paksha. This Total Full Moon Eclipse will have no religious impact as it won’t be able to see from naked eyes. This Chandra Grahan will be the first Chandra Grahan of this year.
As per the PTI ( The Press Trust of India Ltd) during this astronomical event, the earth will cover the moon by 101.6 per cent.
A Purna Chandra Grahan is a special event that occurs when the Sun, Earth and Moon come in a straight line and the Earth blocks the sun from reaching the Lunar surface.
There are 3 types of Lunar Eclipse exist:
Complete Details of Total Lunar Eclipse 2021:
DATE: This Purna Chandra Grahan is expected to occur on 26th May, 2021.
A certain inauspicious time before two Grahans i.e. Surya Grahan and Chandra Grahan are known as Sutak. There are a total of 8 Prahars from Sunrise to Sunset. During a Solar Eclipse (Surya Grahan) Sutak is observed for 4 Prahars that is for 12 hours and during a Lunar Eclipse. Sutak is observed for 3 Prahars that is for 9 hours before the Eclipse (Grahan).
During the time period of Sutak, most people observe fast and follow a certain set of rules. However, in India people believe that the Sutak period should only be followed during a Lunar Eclipse, a grahan which is visible by naked eyes.
Since this Lunar Eclipse will not be visible to the naked eye, the Sutak timing will not be applicable.
The Chandra Grahan would begin at 2:17 PM in India and end at 7:19 PM.
As per the survey, the local timings are mentioned below:
- The First Contact with the Penumbra at: 14:18 PM
- The First Contact with the Umbra at: 15:15 PM
- The Total Phase Begins at: 16:43 PM
- The Total Phase Ends at: 16:54 PM
MAXIMUM OF LUNAR ECLIPSE
- The Maximum of Lunar Eclipse is at: 16:48 PM
- The Last Contact with the Umbra at: 18:21 PM
- The Last Contact with the Penumbra at: 19:19 PM
- Duration of Total Phase is: 00 hours 11 minutes 16 seconds
- Duration of Partial Phase is: 03 hours 06 minutes 22 seconds
- Duration of Penumbral Phase is: 05 hours 00 minutes 39 seconds
- The Magnitude of Lunar Eclipse: 1.01
- The Magnitude of Penumbral Lunar Eclipse: 1.95
In India, Grahan is deemed unfortunate because people believed that Rahu swallowed the Sun and the Moon temporarily to avenge Surya and Chandra for complaining against him.